Index Wedding Barns Meet & Eat Useful Websites Books about barns home

Denny Abbey & Farmland Museum

Denny Abbey was founded in 1159 as a Benedictine Monastery. It then became a retirement home for the Knights Templar and after their suppression, a Franciscan nunnery. After the Dissolution, it became a farm. In the 1960s. The Abbey ruins were taken over by English Heritage and the farm became the Museum of Farmland Life.

The nuns’ refectory had been made into a barn, but when it was cleared out, the original floor tiles were found under all the muck. The other barn on the site is a timber framed, aisled barn with flint walls and a corrugated iron roof.

The former nuns’ refectory seen from the farmyard

Above: the aisled barn  Below: interior of the aisled barn

Click for more pictrues of Tatton Park